ECCC Opener...

So I guess it's hurricane season. One dissipated over the mid atlantic this weekend. Combine that with an on-campus XC course that looked more like a Pennsylvania/NorthShore hybrid, and you've got an interesting race. Friday night we camped at a location in Quakertown that seemed nice from the safety and nievity of the internet.

Upon arrival there was an immediate awakening to the more trailer-park-esque setting. The drunken couple driving their electric golf cart into the woods and running over small trees was entertainment enough to offset any feeling of being ripped off.

The next morning was rough. While Brent continued to take swigs from his Schnapps/Peach Tea mixture, I suffered to find adequate water and the taste of Yeungling Porter remained in my mouth all morning.

In the B XC race, I got out of the gate fast and was 2nd into the woods. This lasted for about 3.5 miles and then my legs just gave out. This also happened to be the point where the heavy climbing started. After walking my bike through rocks for about 20 minutes, I decided not to go out for a second lap. Yes, in case you were wondering, this is the pussiest and weakest thing I've done while mountainbiking in the short time that I can remember.

We went back to Smolko's house and grabbed some lunch before heading back to catch some DH action. After being less than entertained, we journeyed back to the house. This was just in time to catch Penn State beating down on Syracuse, which lifted my day a little.

That night we were going to take it easy. We were glad that Smolko had invited us to stay with him, and that we didn't have to sleep on the ground...not to mention his grandma is an amazing cook and had enough leftovers for an army. After catching a show at the local theatre, it was bedtime.

Sunday went much better. The short track was fast with the only technical sections being on the descent. In the B race, Zach (Pitt) and myself were out with the leaders early, and he passed me a few laps in, at which point I could keep a distant eye on him at certain points. The race flew by, and I came out 3rd or 4th. We had the women's A race in our field, and Jess was the only girl to stay on lap with the guys on her new pink bling Niner EMD9.


Yesterday I got out for a ride with my roommate and we got pretty lost at Scotia gamelands, but saw some areas I hadn't before. We rode the road back, and passed Jess out for a road ride, who gave us some directions. Well, time to go get lost out there again...

Comments

Popular Posts