Idaho

As my mind bounced around last week trying to determine where I would fish for the weekend, I came up with three options:  The Madison (really 4 options within itself), the Missouri (two or so options itself), and the Henry's Fork.  I've fished the Madison close to 20 days this year, the reds are no longer stacked up in the LOG on the Missouri, and I haven't driven 2 hours south to the Henry's Fork in almost a year.  It seems like an easier decision when I write it out. 

I forgot to mention that, toward the end of the week, I saw a little square photo indicating there might be some salmon fly action going on down in that part of the world.  I arrived Friday afternoon around 3pm, and after a quick stop at Henry's Fork Anglers I was on my way to Bear Gulch to hike in for some solitude and hopefully, some salmon fly action.

Plenty of flies had come out of their shucks on the rocky banks and beginning to mate, but the action had not heated up on the water's surface.  However, there was a substantial caddis hatch going on with a few risers here and there.  I was skunked for the evening, but figured it was all downhill from here if the flies were going to lay their eggs (and land on the water) over the next couple days.

The river below Lower Mesa Falls.

The next morning I hiked into the canyon below Lower Mesa Falls and found the spot.  The salmon flies were all over the rocks early and all over me shortly thereafter.  Around lunch time, the flies took off for the water to begin laying their eggs, and fish, albeit small fish, were smacking the surface in a frenzy.  Brought some beautiful fish to hand, and missed the strikes of far more.



Mating salmon flies on the river bank.
 
Lower Mesa Falls
 

The Grandview primitive boat launch.

I hiked out to eat a late lunch when the action slowed, and drove to the Box Canyon to find an open campsite just above the river.  The evening was slow, as it had been the evening before downstream.

The next morning, I asked for some advice at the fly shop and off-roaded to a canyon below Riverside Campground.  Being the only hike-in angler in the canyon that I saw, I had one side of the river to myself, while the rafts that came through stayed on the deeper far side.  The hike along the rocky bank produce quite a few fish on big rubber leg nymphs, and one sizeable whitefish that, until the following day, was the biggest whitefish I'd ever caught.

I did see a guide from a certain popular outfitter in Last Chance handle a 2 foot trout for one of his clients, in and out of the net and in and out of the water, for over 5 minutes.  I may give them a jingle this week to see if they have any interest in being stewards and examples for novice fishermen, in lieu of creating havoc each time a fisherman in their boat lands a nice fish.




A scarred rainbow from the stretch below Riverside.
 
Looking for risers...
 

Another attempt at relocating for the evening proved futile, hiking in from the top of the Box Canyon.  The mornings were certainly the prime time during the weekend.  I woke the next morning and, after climbing in and out of canyons all weekend, debated driving to Bozeman or fishing the morning again. 

I offroaded to a section called Coffee Pot Rapids and hiked into solitude in the morning.  The stream produced a few nice fish, inlcuding a 25" whitefish, and then the small fish came in droves.  When lunchtime came, I hit the road for West Yellowstone's Steeler bar and made my way, slowly, back to Bozeman.

 Releasing a whitefish that was pushing 7 pounds and over 2'-0" long.
 Another scarred up rainbow from a different section of the river.
Val, do you miss the city? Nahhhh

Comments

Popular Posts