The Kootenai

.... or Kootenay, if you're from north of the border.  I decided that my parents, sister, and I should stay there for a long weekend, to get away from SW Montana for a few days, and fish some less pressured water.  My dad sparsely fishes, and my mom has never attempted fly-fishing.  I wanted to go somewhere, where I could give them a better chance of catching fish.
The Kootenai River below the canyon
The first day was rough on my dad.  It is bigger water than I expected, and wade fishing was difficult, except for treacherous sections of the river.  I caught a few here and there, and he was blanked on day 1.  That evening the rain stopped.  It rained a lot, did I mention that?  My mom and I hiked down to the river by our cabin and, sure enough, she pulled out a fish with very little assistance from yours truly.
Mom with a nice rainbow trout (Hint: they eat rubber legs)
The next day my dad and I hiked into the canyon to fish some pools below the falls.  I hooked a lot of fish, lost a lot of fish, and caught a lot of fish.  I also had a bull trout attack a rainbow I was trying to land, and saw another huge bully that wouldn't pick up what I was putting down.  Despite 6-1/2 hours each way being a long weekend getaway, it was a great time and is always good to see new water.
Kootenai Falls

Comments

Popular Posts