Falling for Fall

It's been about a month-and-a-half since I've posted anything here.  My mind has been occupied with an upcoming exam.  It hasn't precluded me from getting outside, but taking the time to summarize it.  Of note from the last 6 weeks are a few outings.  My brother visited Bozeman, and we got to flyfish together for the first time.  It was a relatively unsuccessful trip, but there was improvement on his skills and I think it will help him build a foundation for the sport activity in his home state of Colorado.

I have re-introduced myself to a favorite small stream in the area this fall.  I couldn't come up with a good reason for not fishing it this summer, but having my nose in a book half the day, and only being able to escape for an evening or morning, has made its proximity to the office a bonus during the last month.

One of the questions I get when I travel back east is, "Don't you miss New England this time of year?"  The last two falls I would have possibly agreed that, yes, the color is better in the mountains of Vermont in October.  This year, however, I've come to realize that perplexing combination of warm sun hitting your face while a stiff, cold breeze blisters your face.  It's a good feeling.  Clear skies form a symbiotic relationship with the golden color of wilting aspen leaves, and the vibrancy of those small mountainside patches cannot be beat.  There is a beautiful contrast between the newly dusted peaks of the Madison and Gallatin Ranges, and the multiple khaki and orange hues of the tall grasses and cottonwoods in the Gallatin Valley.  I suppose the answer is, yes, I miss it, but I enjoy fall in Montana more.

Side note:  I must've had an hour discussion last evening on the frequency of the term 'back east' arising in bar banter around Bozeman.


My brother on the Miracle Mile of the Madison River, sans miracles that day.

 
A skinny brown trout from lower downstream, near Earthquake Lake.
Cottonwoods in the evening sun, along the Gallatin River in the valley.  Bridger Range in the far background.
Val with a moose skull on the 'after work' stream.
The 'after work' stream.
A nice wild rainbow trout on a rainy Saturday morning.
The fullback of the Gallatin River brown trout team.
A very rare sighting of a great gray owl last night in the Crazy Mountains.  If you have some time on your hands, read about John 'Jeremiah' Johnson and the history of these mountains.
Only the most beautiful plumage graces the king of gamebirds (this is actually the queen).

Comments

Popular Posts