Shawn leading up G1 in Hyalite Canyon, outside Bozeman, MT
 
 So it looks as though I've been introduced to yet another expensive outdoor endeavor.  Last night after work, Shawn, Scott, and I took off to Hyalite and hiked up to the base of G1, in order for both of them to introduce me to ice climbing. 

After re-introducing myself to the basics of belaying, I got on the ice myself for the first time.  This is a popular route and is extremely pocketed out.  It led to me getting lazy and using the pockets, instead of digging and and using my legs appropriately.  About 15 feet from the top I couldn't hold onto the axes anymore.  Tried to shake it out, but ended up coming back down.
 
By nightfall around  10 other people had arrived, along with beer and some herbal remedies, which were pungent around the base.  Very nice folks and its amazing how many people do so many activities outdoors in the area.  You can get into a detailed technical conversation about hunting and flyfishing at the base of an ice climb.

After belaying again I gave it another shot, under the light of a headlamp this time, and had the same outcome very close to the top.  I'll look forward to giving it another crack here soon. 

A few top rope lines on the face of G1 last night.

Comments

Popular Posts