Spring time in Montana typically means drastic shifts in weather and, henceforth, barometric pressure.  This, for the past couple years for me, has meant extremely productive days on the water.  At the same time, there is a lot of moisture getting dumped up high, and I have an extremely difficult decision to face:  ski hip deep cold smoke, or have 20+ days on the Galltin, with the chance of very large fish taking very large flies on the swing.  I know, my life is really tough out here.  I'll accept condolences from those willing.

This weekend was one of balance.A friend I hadn't seen in a while invited me down to Big Sky to ski with him and his dad's group of friends.  I took off early on Friday and fished my way down the Gallatin from Bozeman to Big Sky.  I didn't change from a #8 black rubber legs, and brought 10 fish to the net in an hour.  I met up with the group at Lone Peak Brewery, and they invited me to ski the Yellowstone Club the following day.  This was a surprise and a very nice treat.  One that I am grateful for and will likely not experience again this decade.

After an incredible bluebird day of skiing, with chutes and first tracks off the ridge in the morning, we had a nice evening and I woke up Sunday ready for the Gallatin again.  I pulled off right at the busy intersection in Big Sky, after a quick stop at Gallatin River Guides (they employ a Penn State alum, so I can't go anywhere else), and walked onto Ted Turner's property.  He graciously allows public access from 191 down below the high water line.

First couple holes were a little dead, with a couple small rainbows.  Then I walked downstream and found a very nice run-out with a fast rapid emptying into a large, deep pool.  High sticking a nymph through the fast stuff and swinging it out of the swift current in the tail out was looking like a very nice option for the morning.   The 12th fish out of that hole proved to be the nicest of the weekend, and of the year so far:

A 20" Gallatin River brown trout takes time from his busy morning to pose for a photograph.
 
 
Again, the #8 black rubber legs was the only fly needed.  However, for the all the fish that came to net, that number would have doubled if I would've set the hook properly.  I saw more bodies roll in the water, resulting in my fly snagging behind me, than I've ever experienced in a day on the water. 
 
Friday saw rainbow, cutthroat, and brown trout in the net.  Sunday saw rainbow, brown trout, and mountain whitefish (the largest I've caught) in the net.  I'm hoping to complete a Gallatin River slam of rainbow, brown, cutthroat, and whitefish before the end of the month, so long as the water doesn't rise too rapidly.  I don't discriminate against fish of any color.


Comments

Popular Posts